Sunday, 5 February 2017

Treat Day

04/02/2017
Cardiff 0 Norwich 1

As I put my eldest to bed tonight she said the immortal words "Oh mummy I not been a good girl today."  And sadly I had to agree.

Today had so much promise after a week of virtual quranatine due to chicken pox we had decided to take our eldest out for a treat day.

However because she has been poorly this week, against my better judgement, I have let her have our tablet a lot more than normal. As I have been feeling sorry for her and she really enjoys playing on it. The only trouble is, it brings the worst out in her and I have decided now she is better the tablet is going away again. Whilst I was getting ready this morning she asked to use it and when I said no she got very cross and sulky. Which is exactly why I don't want her using it. After we had a talk and an apology we got started on our treat day.

We all wanted to see the film Sing and the Majestic Cinema in Kings Lynn does early showings at the weekends for kids. I booked our tickets online as I am well aware that as a family our timekeeping can be a bit remiss however we actually left the house at the planned 10.15. We gave Granny a lift into town as she was working. We of course made it to the cinema with time to spare. The film was in screen 2 which now has the kind of seat you pay £15+ for in a London cinema so I was very impressed. My husband bought a tub of popcorn that must have weighed as much as the baby. I mistakenly thought we wouldn't finish it but of course it was finished within ten minutes of the film starting.

I had a cunning plan to ensure our baby slept through the film which had been to postpone her mid morning feed and nap until we got to the cinema. My plan worked and I could enjoy the film uninterrupted. Our eldest enjoyed the film too as she only went on one toliet break. I have a feeling that the Sing DVD will be purchased in the not too distant future.

After the film we took her to Old Mcdonalds for lunch, her choice.  But as it was really busy we ended up taking it to go and went and visited Granny at the Corn Exchange where we had a coffee. Our eldest ended up helping out at the box office even issuing tickets.

Of course our 4 year old didn't understand that the cinema and meal out where a treat and she insisted on a trip to the toy shop. Were we of course refused to buy her anything. Her response was to complain that all of her toys were boring and old. Considering she's just had her birthday and Christmas we were not very pleased with her and after a few tears we finally manged to leave the shop. But the journey home wasn't much fun. Her fake crying was a big distraction from the football on the radio.

To be fair once we got home she played really nicely. Helped me cook tea and generally was a good girl. It's just a shame that her behaviour slightly marred what should have been a fun day for her and us.

8 comments:

  1. Awww, its a shame when a day doesn't live up to expectations and I would have been crestfallen at the behaviour she showed too but you stuck to your principles and she didn't get the tablet or new toys so, in actual fact, you had a triumph of a day in parenting! And the fact she acknowledge her bad behaviour shows how she learnt your lessons so bonus points for that one! It was a success, just not in the way you wanted it to be ;) xxx #bigpinklink

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I was pleased with her acknowledgement.

      Delete
  2. It must be such a difficult age to work out! Sounds like you got some parenting wins even though you were a little tested along the way! I want to see sing but my son is probably a little to young at the moment!! ‪Thank you for linking up to the #familyfunlinky‬

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that sounds familiar! My two at four and six now now that the cinema in itself is a treat, probably because I bang on so much about how expensive it is! Although we only go to the movies for juniors now! Thanks for being such an important part of the #bigpinklink

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like a lovely treat day, and the cinema is a perfect wind-down activity. Being 4 isn't easy, nor is it easy to resist trying to buy something from one of your favourite shops :-) Thank you for sharing with the #DreamTeam x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband and I constantly remind ourselves she is only 4.

      Delete