Saturday, 14 January 2017

Birthday Party

14/01/2017
Rotherham 2 Norwich 1

So today is our eldest's 4th Birthday Party, and when we planned our moved back to Norfolk this is the day I was dreading. Traditionally we have been hosting big parties for her at our house. I had really made a rod for my own back, and each year we invited more and more friends from her nursery and the decorations and food had been getting more and more elborate. She had even picked this year's theme, Cinderella, before her third birthday. And I knew in the weeks building up to the party she would be asking about who would be coming etc.

With the timing of our move I was worried that she wouldn't be established enough at her new nursery to have friends to invite to her party. This fear was actually causing me sleepless nights. Luckily this year she really wanted a soft play party and as the date got nearer and our move has moved further into the past she has stopped asking about her old friends and was focused on her new set of Norfolk friends. Who conveintly have been cultivated from my old school friend's children.

To be honest today's party was as much an excuse for her to see her new friends as it was for me to see my old friends. My sister even came down from London for the day for a catch up with them. I don't actually know why I had worried so much as my eldest had a great time with her guest.

The highlight for her was her cousin's from London coming to the party and as I write this now at 7.10 they are still going strong running around downstairs.

Soft play birthday parties are definitely the way forward and despite having to pay per child including the baby. I actually think it might be the cheapest party we have organised. Plus we even had a special Minion guest.

I do have a shout out to both my mum and my husband for their patience yesterday while I completing my show stopper bake of a Cinderella birthday cake. At one point when I was creating the skirt my mum kindly asked me what picture I was using and in my frustration at riped icing. I may have snapped back that I wasn't using a picture it was all in my head. I am therefore very grateful to both of you for your help yesterday and for your patience. And yes I am well aware you were joking about the poor lopsided doll when I was in the other room. And I agree I think she may have had a bit too much fruit punch at the ball. Luckily the birthdayzilla didn't make an appearance today. And the mammoth cake is already half eaten.

All that is left to add is that Farmer Fred's rocks and we will see you again next year.

6 comments:

  1. That cake is so cute! That would have been my dream at 4 years old! #fortheloveofBLOG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow that cake is amazing you are super skilled at making that. I so glad you have a good day and it worked out well. Sometimes the thought of it is worse than the event. Thanks for linking up at #fortheloveofBLOG. Claire x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome cake - you are brilliant to make that! I really want to get practising to make one for my daughter's 2nd birthday and not have to buy one like last year ;) Thank you for linking up to #dreamteam x

    ReplyDelete